Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Search

Monday's class helped to highlight some of the different ways that I'd forgotten about to search using Google.  One becomes too accustomed to getting some good results from the general search field that you forget about the advanced one.  Here are some examples of the pages that I've gotten in just a few days that seem to be working out well with my research:

Google
-> Advanced Search
-->General field: Textbook      Phrase: Secondary Market     Words: ebook

http://chronicle.com/article/The-End-of-the-Textbook-as-We/125044/

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101102/03282611679/colleges-experimenting-with-bulk-buying-e-textbooks-and-forcing-students-to-pay-up.shtml

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/08/will-e-books-replace-physical-college-textbooks/61003/

As I have searched, good treasure troves of information have been few and far between.  Most of the information on the subject appears to have been written between 2001 and 2007.  With the introduction of the Apple iPad and the various Google-based tablets out there, it seems odd to me that there hasn't been a resurgence in innovation within this arena.  Most of the information that is current seems to be of a strictly private business nature (dedicated company web-pages) and not of any articles or analysis on the subject.

I've searched multiple combinations that I can think of -
cost
value
open source
distribution
etc...
Anyone have any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. There seem to be several different alternatives to the high cost of text books but is there a real solution? E-books sound like the best alternative but there is still a cost associated with internet use I am sure for students with/without internet access. The student fees help support computer lab access as well as fees the bookstore may impose. Is there something we lose through e-books or digital books and is it insignificant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    try researching the issue from the other end--the hardware end. What articles out there about the iPad and other tablet devices have suggested uses relevant to eventual revolution in textbook acquisition? Also search for education/pedagogy articles that analyze use of new technology in and out of classroom, including online instruction. Many online courses have quite elaborate websites whose content and hyperlinks essentially obviate the need for a set text. What would this mean for your aims?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,
    when I reach the point you're at -- a couple of sources, but not the flood I've hoped for -- I always jump to the wrong conclusion: there hasn't been much written about this. It's always wrong because if the subject is important (and yours is) then lots of smart people are trying to figure it out.

    Use Mark's suggestions.

    also: Do a thorough search just using the library's search engines (not google). And as you do this, make sure you sit down with the idea that you're going to spend a whole hour at it, trying different varieties of queries and engines.

    ReplyDelete